Maybe it’s just me, but I was raised on boxed cake mix and canned frosting, so while I had my heart set on making my baby boy a cake from scratch for his first birthday, my definition of success is that it tasted like it came from a box. To me, this frosting tastes like store bought frosting (in a good way)! I made three batches because I wanted it to be right, and I feel that Crisco (regular, not butter flavored) tasted much better than Earth Balance. This frosting isn’t any worse off for being diary free/vegan. I’m really happy with how it turned out and would definitely make it again.
- 1 cup (85 g) Dutch-process or alkalized cocoa (I used 365 brand)
- 4 cups (454 g) confectioner’s sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (74 g) hot water
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) vanilla extract
- 16 tablespoons (227g) vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cocoa powder, 1 cup (113 g) of the confectioner’s sugar and the salt. Stir in the hot water and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining 3 cups (341 g) confectioner’s sugar and the shortening. Beat with a mixer on medium-low speed for 1-2 minutes until combined. Do not over beat.
- If necessary, add room temperature water 1 tablespoon at a time to loosen frosting to the desired consistency.